Thursday, February 18, 2010

Thorns and Roses

When I was 13 on a Boy Scout hiking trip in New Mexico, the group I was with closed each night with an activity called 'thorns and roses' where we sat around and said one highlight and one challenge we had encountered that day. Two days ago at a work meeting, we did a similar sort of activity reflecting on highlights and challenges of the past year. Though I could have named many different thorns and roses regarding my work experience in Japan, nothing came to my mind so clearly as the thorn, or challenge, of dealing with the disciplinary system I've seen in these schools.

Maybe yesterday's lessons are a good starting point. Yesterday one of the ni-nensei (8th grade) classes had to give short speeches concerning one of their favorite experiences, sports, movies, etc. This particular class has a few kids who are regularly disruptive and rude to other students and whoever happens to be teaching. Yesterday was no exception. They began the class by interrupting me as I was trying to explain the difference between saying 'good morning' as a polite greeting among colleagues and 'morning' as a greeting among friends. After the JTE (Japanese English teacher) said something to him, one of these students muttered something about not being able to understand me as his reason for interrupting me as he did.

During the speeches, the two boys, who sit next to each other, continuously interrupted the other students as they spoke; they kept laughing among themselves, and even made fun of some of the students as they were speaking. I was at the back of the room while the JTE was at the front and we were both trying to evaluate the students' speeches. About halfway through the speeches, after noticing the JTE wasn't doing anything to quiet them down, I moved closer to where the boys were sitting so I could get them to shut up. I had to keep hushing them up for the rest of the class period because they would only be quiet for a few seconds and then resume their chatting and laughing.

Neither of these students did a speech because they had spent the entire previous period messing around while the other students did their speech preparation. Really, I don't think them acting as they did is what really bothers me, though at the time it bothered me a great deal. Rather in a deeper sense what bothers me is how their sort of behavior gets dealt with by the school. The easy fix in my mind would be to separate the two boys so they don't sit next to each other and get each other going. But as far as I can tell, they've been sitting next to each other for a while now and there are no immediate plans by any of the teachers to separate them; and because in Japan the teachers, not the students, move classrooms, they continue to sit next each other for almost every class and subject, covering most of the school day.

The same day in another ni nensei class, two students, friends, were sitting behind a new student, making fun of him, throwing bits of eraser at his head, and trying to tick him off. This student is new to the school and to my surprise the JTE did nothing to stop these kids from bullying him. During class I literally had to walk over and tell the two boys to sit down as they were getting in his face and taunting him. After class I told the English teacher about the bullying I saw and mentioned that the three students should be separated. She gave me her usual nod and smile and that was the end of our conversation.

Though in this particular instance I think the JTE was wrong to not stop the two boys from bullying another boy, most of the time she seems to be doing the best she can with the situation she's in. She's not a teacher who has by any means 'given up' trying to control her students. Often it seems to me she's acting with prudence, having little to no good alternatives. There's no detention at these schools, nor is there much in the way of expulsions. Compared to my middle class suburban junior high, at this middle class suburban junior high fighting and horseplay tend not to be as big of a no-no. Also I have a strong suspicion that the parent teacher conferences tend to supress these problems because the teachers avoid direct confrontation with the parents about their kids.

Discipline is more indirect here. When I'm in class I feel like there are unspoken rules being followed by the really bad students, depending on their relationship with the teachers. These, as opposed to set in stone 'school rules' more or less dictate the boundaries of how they can or can't act. Also I've heard that in most junior high schools (around here anyway) the teachers move ahead in grades along with the students, so if they teach ichi nensei (7th graders) this year, they will teach the same students as ni nensei (8th graders) the following year. By the third year of junior high school, the same teacher will have taught a group of students for three consecutive years. The teachers tend to really get to know the students and vice-versa in ways that transcend professional boundaries and lean more towards familial relationships.

It's been a real challenge trying to understand and cope with such a different disciplinary system. It aches me to realize that in the hundreds of classes I've been a part of in Japan, working with 14 different teachers at 6 different junior high schools, I've never once seen two troublemakers get separated by a teacher during a class. Nor have I ever seen a student get kicked out of class for being too disruptive. When I was living in Iizuka, one of the JTE's told me that the climate of learning in one of her classes all revolved around one student's mood. 'If he's in a bad mood he'll turn 3 or 4 other students against me, and class will be ruined.' `But,` she said, 'If he's in a better mood those 3 or 4 other students will actually pay attention and class goes alright.' No wonder these teachers so often let rotten students sleep in class.

Overall I wouldn`t say the disciplinary system is broken, but to allow some students to, from class to class and day to day, ruin a junior high education for others simply because they happen to be in the same class as them seems to me an instance of total failure.

Anyway hopefully I can get on with some of my roses in my next post.

No comments: