Thursday, February 5, 2009

Iizuka and Dazaifu

These are some photos of the weekend I spent last month with Elizabeth. We spent one day checking out Iizuka and a day in Fukuoka city and Dazaifu, a small historic town known for its temples.

Elizabeth and I on the train from Fukuoka city heading to Iizuka.

A temple very near my apartment in Iizuka.

A famous Shinto temple in Dazaifu city. When were there it was unusually crowded. This is the same temple I visited last October when Koki and Kazue came to see me from Tokyo.

Some Japanese koi in the foreground and fortunes on pink sheets of paper in the background. I just now read on wikipedia that 'koi breeding' originated in Japan in the 18th century. The red and white colored ones here (kohaku) are a product of this breeding. I love that website.

A crowd of people lined up to pay their respects at the temple shrine. There were a few priests doing some rituals for those praying at this moment.

Bamboo (take) trees near the temple. We were both interested to see such tall bamboo chutes.

The gate to the temple. Beyond this gate is a narrow road with lots of food and souvenir shops on either side. It was pretty crowded this day. As a sidenote, this temple was one of the most populated spots in Japan on New Year's day (this is what the news said around midnight when I was in Tokyo).

Me buying some Japanese treats filled with sweet bean paste (anko).

1 comment:

amrowell said...

Hey...Elizabeth is a cutie!!! You did good.

Allan Rowell